Pier Paolo Pasolini


Pier Paolo Pasolini in New York, 1966. 

Bellsong

When evening ebbs in these fountains 
my home is a run colour. 

I am gone, I remember the frogs, 
the moon, the sad whirr of crickets. 

Vespers ring and waste on the fields: 
I am dead to the bellsong. 

Don't worry, stranger: my sweet flight aches 
over the empty land. I am a ghost of love 

who comes back to his home that was gone. 


My Deathday

In some city, Trieste or Udine, 
    along some limetreed street, 
in spring, while the leaves 
    are shifting colour, 
    I'll fall down dead 
under a throbbing sun, 
        blond, tall, 
and shut my eyes 
and leave the shining sky alone. 

Under a hot-green limetree 
    I'll fall down in death's 
dark, ungathering 
    the limes and the sun. 
    And beautiful boys 
will run in the light 
        I've lately lost 
hareing from school 
all tousled

                                translations by John Gallas 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne-Marie Albiach

  The Hermitage Road (detail) Parallel life of corporeal horizons already lived—the ties loosen along a trajectory, leaving to silence a dyn...